H. J. Todd
Henry John Todd (1763–1845) was educated at Magdalen College School , Oxford (1771) and Magdalen College (1779; BA 1784; MA 1786). He held several country livings through patronage and was appointed a minor canon at Canterbury. A letter of November 1790 from Philip Hayes, of Magdalen College, Oxford, to Dean William Buller recommends Todd's musical skills when he was applying for a post as a minor canon.
He published a catalogue of the literary manuscripts of the Cathedral in 1793 as an appendix to his Some account of the Deans of Canterbury; from ... Henry the Eighth, to the present time. ... added a catalogue of the manuscripts in the Church library (Canterbury: printed and sold by Simmons, Kirkby and Jones; sold also by Flackton, Marrable and Claris; and Bristow, Canterbury; and by T. Cadell, London, 1793).
In 1797 he is referred to as the 'Librarian'. He rearranged the books in the Library and started a new catalogue, based partly on a listing of the printed books made by David Wilkins. He was at this time vicar of Milton (Kent). One of the two British Library copies of the 1743 printed catalogue has an inscription recording its presentation by Todd to the British Museum Library: Presented by the Rev Mr. Todd Minor Canon of Canterbury Sep. 21 1795.
In 1802 his new catalogue of the printed books and manuscripts was printed in 160 copies: Catalogue of the books, both manuscript and printed, which are preserved in the library of Christ Church, Canterbury ([London] Bye and Law, 1802).
He was later Keeper of Manuscripts at Lambeth Palace. He was appointed one of the Six Preachers in 1818. Archbishop Charles Manners-Sutton appointed him to a prebendal stall at York Minster (1830) and the archdeaconry of Cleveland in 1832.
- Shelfmark W/B-2-45
- Zachariah Mudge. Essay towards a new English version of the Book of Psalms.
- Inscription on front pastedown: Ecc. Chr. Cant. D.D. H. J. Todd, A.M.
- Shelfmark W/T-9-13
- Robert Lowth, Bp. Life of William of Wykeham, : Bishop of Winchester. ... By Robert Lowth, ... 1759.
- Inscription on verso of title page: D.D. H. J. Todd, Can. Minor.
- Shelfmark BIOG-CHI
- Oliph Leigh Spencer. Life of Henry Chichelé, Archbishop of Canterbury, Founder of all Souls College, in the University of Oxford.
- Inscription on title-page verso: D.D. H.J. Todd. Can. Minor
- Shelfmark W/P-7-58
- Richard Farmer, D.D. Essay on the learning of Shakespeare: ... by Richard Farmer, ... 1789.
- Inscription on verso of title page: D.D. H.J. Todd, Min. Can.
- Shelfmark W/K-1-33
- Philip Neve. Cursory remarks on some of the ancient English poets. 1789.
- Inscription on fourth free endpaper: Ecc. C.C.C. D.D. H.J.T.
- Shelfmark Cheker: Todd, Deans
- Henry John Todd. Some account of the Deans of Canterbury; from ... Henry the Eighth, to the present time. ... added a catalogue of the manuscripts in the Church library.
- Inscription on verso of third front free endpaper: The Gift of Mr Todd, To remain in the Deanery of Canterbury.
- Shelfmark W/F-1-33
- Euripides. Euripidou Hippolytos stephanephoros cum scholiis, versione latinâ, ... Valckenarî notis integris, ... quibus suas adjunxit Fran. Hen. Egerton.
- Inscription on verso of title page: Hunc librum Bib:æ Ecc.æ Christi Cant: D.D. H.J. Todd ejusdem Ecc.æ Canonicus Minor.
- Shelfmark W/L-4-9
- John Milton. Comus, a mask presented at Ludlow Castle 1634, ... by John Milton. With notes ... by Henry John Todd, ... 1798.
- Inscription on verso of front free endpaper: From the Editor.
- Shelfmark W/T-9-24
- Thomas Cranmer. Defence of the true and catholick doctrine of the Sacrament of the body and blood of Our Saviour Christ. ... prefixed an introduction ... in vindication of ... the Reformation in England ... By ... Henry John Todd ... London: 1825.
- Inscription on verso of final front free endpaper: With the Editor's Respects.
- Shelfmark W/R-5-34(2)
- Henry John Todd. Reply to Dr. Lingard's vindication of his History of England ... as respects Archbishop Cranmer. By ... H. J. Todd ... 1827.
- Inscription on title page: From the Author.
- Shelfmark W2/Q-3-8
- Catalogue of the books, manuscript and printed, which are preserved in the Library of Christ Church, Canterbury.
- H. J. Todd's personal copy of the 1802 catalogue with a manuscript notice in the front free endpapers about publication of the catalogue.
- Inscription on third front free endpaper: Purchased from Archdeacon Todd's Library. 1846. W.H.C.
- Ownership stamp on third front free endpaper: W. H. Coleridge.
- Book plate on front pastedown: Collegii Sti Augustini apud Cantuarienses Liber. Pencil note on third front free endpaper: St Augustine's College. Library. 1849. W.H.C.