Henry Wood

From History of Canterbury Cathedral Library
Jump to: navigation, search

Henry Wood was the owner (around 1800) of a book which was subsequently given to the Chapter Library by one of its minor canons William Bennett. Wood's arms are found on the armorial bookplate and on the crest in the binding stamp. They were originally granted to Edward Wood of Sandwich in 1574.[1]

IWOO001_s1.jpg
British Armorial Bindings database, stamp WOO001
Shelfmark W2/X-6-2
Sigebertus Haverkamp. Medailles de grand et moyen bronze du cabinet de la reine Christine, ... gravées ... par ... Pietro Santes Bartolo, ... expliquées par un commentaire traduit du Latin de Sigebert Havercamp, ... The Hague: 1742.
Armorial bookplate [Franks 32378] on front pastedown with motto 'Bon Accord': Henry Wood.
Binding stamp on front board showing an arm embowed holding a spear broken in three pieces one in pale two in saltire, with initials: H W
Inscription on second title page: W. Bennett.
Inscription on verso of first title page: The Gift of the Revd. W. Bennett one of the Minor Canons to the Library of Christ Church Cathedral Canterbury Sept. 17th 1840.

Cite error: <ref> tags exist, but no <references/> tag was found