John Francis

From History of Canterbury Cathedral Library
Jump to: navigation, search

The Rev. John Francis M.A. (1749–1828) was educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge (1767; B.A. 1771; M.A. 1774).[1]

He was vicar of Willesborough (1789–1792), curate of St Mildred's and All Saints, Canterbury, (1790–1828), rector of Orgarswick, (1792–1828), and a Six Preacher (1802–1828).[1] He was also Usher at the King's School from 1787 to 1821.[2]

Shelfmark W/L-5-17
Philippus van Limborch. Philippia a Limborch ... Theologia Christiana ad praxin pietatis ac promotionem pacis Christianae unicè directa. 1686.
Inscription on title page: E Libris Joannis Francis, e dono viri Reverendi, doctissimique Humpheri Primatt. Maii Calendis. 1764.
Shelfmark W/M-1-2/3
Samuel Scattergood. Fifty two sermons, upon several occasions. In two vol. By Samuel Scattergood, ... 1723.
Armorial bookplate on front pastedown, with motto 'Insontes ut columbae': Revd. J. Francis, M.A.
References
  1. 1.0 1.1 Venn, ACAD Database, ID=FRNS767J
  2. Derek Ingram Hill, The Six Preachers of Canterbury Cathedral, 1982, p. 89.