Other Canterbury Libraries

From History of Canterbury Cathedral Library
Jump to: navigation, search

Christ Church Cathedral Priory

Digitised manuscripts

Trinity College, Cambridge
  • B.3.5, S. Hieronymi super Prophetas Pars II.
    Canterbury, 12th century.
    With the armorial binding stamp of Archbishop John Whitgift (donor).
  • B.3.32, Augustini et Aliorum Sermones
    Canterbury, 12th century.
    Has the name of the scribe Thiodricus or Thidericus.
    With the armorial binding stamp of Archbishop John Whitgift (donor).
  • B.5.28, Augustinus super Psalmos CI.-CL.
    Canterbury, early 12th century.
    Ff.1 and 194: 'Tercia pars psalterii de claustro Ecclesie Christi Cantuarie'.
    With the armorial binding stamp of Archbishop John Whitgift (donor).
  • O.4.34, Orosius etc.
    Canterbury, early 12th century.
    With the armorial binding stamp of Archbishop John Whitgift (donor).
  • R.15.22, Musica Boethii et Guidonis.
    Canterbury, early 12th century.
    F.1: 'De claustro Cant'.
    Ownership note on f. 140v: 'this ys John hills bok wrytte the second day of Aprill 1564'
    With the binding stamp of George Wilmer (1582-1626) (donor).

References

Webber, T., ‘Script and Manuscript Production at Christ Church’ in Canterbury and the Norman Conquest: Churches, Saints and Scholars 1066-1109, Eales, R. and Sharpe, R. (eds), London (1995), pp. 145-158.

Saint Augustine's Abbey

  • Corpus of British Medieval Library Catalogues, Volume 13: St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury, edited by B. C. Barker-Benfield. British Library (2008). 2256 pages, 3 volumes, 16 halftones. Read more ...
  • The Schoenberg Database of Manuscripts has 178 records (November 2018) for manuscripts once belonging to or relating to St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury.
  • A. B. Emden, Donors of Books to S. Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury. Oxford Bibliographical Society (1968).
  • Surviving books from St Augustine's Abbey with the name of Clement Canterbury, librarian in the 15th century
          011BUR000000003U0000200c.thumb.jpg
    • Bible with prologues, omitting Psalms (British Library MS Burney 11). Oxford?, 1st half of the 13th century.
      Purchased by Clement Canterbury in Oxford in 1473 for 20 shillings and given by him to St Augustine's the following year.
    • The Bible of Robert de Bello (British Library MS Burney 3). Canterbury?, mid-13th century: description, with digitised images.
    • Geoffrey of Monmouth (Bodleian Rawlinson B.150). Canterbury?, end of 13th century.
    • Medical recipes, charms, and veterinary lore relating to horses (Bodleian MS Wood empt. 18): description and link to images.
  • Boethius, De consolatione philosophiae (Trinity College, Cambridge, O.3.7; late 10th century).


Franciscans

Manuscripts

Surviving medieval manuscripts belonging to the Canterbury Franciscans are noted in the Victoria history of the county of Kent, vol. 2: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/kent/vol2/pp190-194 and in Charles Cotton, The Grey Friars of Canterbury, 1224-1538; with a chapter on the remains of the Friary and its restoration by R.H. Goodsall, Manchester, 1924 (reprinted 1926).

  • New Testament with gloss, given by Friar Ralph of Maidstone (Bishop of Hereford 1234–1239). British Library Royal 3.C.XI.
  • Isaiah with gloss, given in 1253 by Richard Wych (Bishop of Gloucester).
  • Genesis and Exodus with gloss. British Library Royal 3.E.IX.
  • Isaiah, Jeremiah and Daniel with gloss, given by Master Adam of Richmond, with press marks '.B.' and 'C.4'. British Library Royal 3.D.II.
  • Gospels of Mark and Matthew with gloss, with press mark '.D.23'. British Library Royal 2.D.XXIV.
  • Epistles of Paul with the commentary of Peter Lombard, given by Friar Henry of Rye. British Library Royal 3.D.IV.
  • Geoffrey of Monmouth, Historia Britonum, Jacques de Vitry, Historia Hierosolimitana, Gesta Alexandri, Historia Romanorum, and the Chronicle of Martin of Troppau, acquired c. 1300. British Library Cotton Galbaa E.XI.
  • Treatises by Aristotle, Albertus Magnus, etc. belonged to Friar John Bruyl of the Order of Friars Minor of the custody of London and the convent of Canterbury, c. 1400. Bodleian Digby 153.
  • Notabilia super ecclesiasticam historiam et tripartitam cum extractionibus Willelmi Malmesburiensis, owned in the fifteenth century.

Printed books

A copy of Ockam, Guilielmus, In primum librum Sententiarum Petri Lombardi ([Urach : Conrad Fyner], 1483), now in Lambeth Palace Library, has the inscription 'Hoc volumen conceditur ad usum fratrum minorum de observantia Cantuarie'. It later belonged to Archbishop Thomas Cranmer and then passed to Lord Arundel and then to his stepson Lord Lumley before eventually belonging to Archbishop Richard Bancroft and then passing into Lambeth Palace Library.[1]

References
  1. MEI Database http://data.cerl.org/mei/02010602