Richard Clerke

From History of Canterbury Cathedral Library
Jump to: navigation, search

Richard Clerke (d. 1634) was a Six Preacher at Canterbury Cathedral from 1602 to 1633.[1] He was appointed vicar of Minster in 1597 and was rector of Snargate from 1609 to 1611 and then vicar of vicar of Monkton from 1611. Clerke was educated at Christ's College, Cambridge (B.A. 1582/83; M.A. 1586; B.D. 1593; fellow 1583 to 1598), D.D. 1598. He was one of the translators of the King James Bible, working on the Old Testament.[2]

Shelfmark W/A-6-23/30

Biblia sacra : Hebraice, Chaldaice, Graece, & Latine.
Antwerp: 1569–1572.

Apparently the copy given by Richard Clerke (d. 1634), a Six Preacher.[3] The gift is recorded in the Benefactors' Book and in the 1634 inventory.
References
  1. CCED PersonID 39555
  2. Derek Ingram Hill, The Six Preachers of Canterbury Cathedral, 1982, p. 38-39
  3. CCED PersonID 39555