Sources for names
Some useful online resources for names, dates, career details, etc, for persons in the provenance lists for Canterbury Cathedral Library and similar data. Also identification of armorial bookplates, binding stamps, etc.
Canterbury and Kent
- Hasted's lists of Canons of Canterbury
- 'Canterbury cathedral: Canons', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 12 (1801), pp. 55-108.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives
- Fast Ecclesiae Anglicanae
- Diocese of Canterbury, Rochester and Winchester, 1541–1857.
- Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae
- Index of English cathedral clergy from 1006-1857
- The Clergy of the Church of England Database
- CCEd (1540-1835)
Universities and lawyers
- ACAD A Cambridge Alumni Database
- A database of all alumni of the University of Cambridge, 1200–1900
- Alumni Oxonienses
- Alumni oxonienses : the members of the University of Oxford, 1500-1714: their parentage, birthplace, and year of birth, with a record of their degrees / University of Oxford ; Foster, Joseph, 1844-1905. — Oxford and London, Parker and Co., 1891.
- Alumni oxonienses: the members of the University of Oxford, 1715-1886; their parentage, birthplace and year of birth, with a record of their degree... / University of Oxford ; Foster, Joseph, 1844-1905. — Oxford, Parker, 1888.
- Inns of Court
- Men-at-the-bar : a biographical hand-list of the members of the various Inns of Court, including Her Majesty's judges, etc. (1885)
- Access to Archives
- The A2A database contains catalogues describing archives held locally in England and Wales and dating from the eighth century to the present day.
- CERL Thesaurus
- The CERL Thesaurus file contains forms of imprint places, imprint names, personal names, corporate names and provenance names as found in material printed before the middle of the nineteenth century, including variant spellings, forms in Latin and other languages, and fictitious names.
- Library of Congress Authorities
- Authority headings for Subject, Name, Title and Name/Title combinations
- Contemporaries of Erasmus
- A Biographical Register of the Renaissance and Reformation (GoogleBooks)
- The British Book Trade Index
- An index of the names and brief biographical details and trade details of people who worked in the book trade in England and Wales and who were trading by 1851
- Bibliothèque nationale de France
- BNF Autorités
- Seymour de Ricci
- Bibliotheca Britannica Manuscripta Digitized Archive
Book plates and binding stamps
- Franks Bequest -- bookplates
- British Armorial Binding Stamps
Pierre Deschamps ("un Bibliophile"), Dictionnaire de géographie ancienne et moderne, originally published as a supplement for Brunet.
(l'abbé) Chevin, Dictionnaire Latin-Français des noms de lieux ayant une certaine notorieté principalement au point de vue ecclésiastique et monastique, Paris 1897