W/K-3-58

From History of Canterbury Cathedral Library
Jump to: navigation, search
Shelfmark W/K-3-58
Jean Filesac. Paroecia, siue de paroeciarum et paroecorum origine, nec non de missa paroeciali, auctore Ioanne Filesaco ... 1608.
Gold-tooled initials R B on both boards.
The initials "R B" have been identified by James Carley as those of Archbishop Richard Bancroft. They had previously been thought to be those of Richard Byrde, canon of Stall X from 1590 to 1609 (pencil note on front pastedown).
The volume became part of Lambeth Palace Library on Bancroft's death in 1610. It was transferred in the 1650s from Lambeth Palace to Cambridge University Library.[1] It returned to Lambeth in 1664 and presumably came to Canterbury as part of the Lambeth duplicates given by Archbishop Sancroft.
References
  1. Identifications made by Professor Carley.