From History of Canterbury Cathedral Library
Jump to: navigation, search
Shelfmark W/T-9-25(1)
John Caius. De antiquitate Cantebrigiensis Academiae libri duo. Aucti ab ipso authore plurimùm. ... de Oxoniensis quoque gymnasii antiquitate disseritur ...
London: 1574.
On verso of second free endpaper: Tamquam explorator 1631.
On verso of second free endpaper: Pretium – 4s. the best edition. William Watts. [In a different hand:] A quo pretio quo supra emptus per Williami Somneri.
Inscription on title page: for the nether Diall Chamber. [and lower down:] For the Diall Chamber.
A book with a complex provenance history.
Its earliest recorded owner seems to be the poet Ben Jonson whose motto is accompanied by the date 1631.
The next owner is the unidentified William Watts who paid four shillings for it.
It was then bought for the same price by William Somner.
It seems finally to have been allocated to the Dial Chamber in the Cathedral clock tower before being returned to the Library at some later date.
A copy is recorded in the 1743 printed catalogue (p. 23) and in the 1802 printed catalogue at shelfmark Y.iii.1.