William Hodge Mill

From History of Canterbury Cathedral Library
Jump to: navigation, search

William Hodge Mill (1792–1853) was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge (B.A. 1813; Fellow 1814; M.A. 1816. He took deacon's orders in 1817, and priest's in the following year. From 1820 to 1838 he worked in India as the first principal of Bishop's College, Calcutta, where he specialised in the study of the Indian vernaculars and Sanskrit. On his return to Europe, he became chaplain to Archbishop William Howley (1839), rector of Brasted (1843), and then Regius Professor of Hebrew at Cambridge (1848) with a canonry at Ely Cathedral.

Wikipedia

Shelfmark W/K-2-11/14
Tausend und eine Nacht Arabisch. Nach einer Handschrift aus Tunis. Herausgegeben von Dr. Maximilian Habicht ... Breslau: 1828.
Armorial book plate on front paste down, with motto 'Clarum reddidit industria': W. H. Mill
Book plate (cancelled) on verso of title page: Collegii Sti Augustini apud Cantuarienses Liber.

W/R-4-5(2)